The Pioneer Museum of Alabama is dedicated to preserving and presenting its unique collection of historical buildings, structures, and exhibits to advance a greater knowledge and appreciation of
We will achieve our Mission through...
- experiential and cross-generational educational programming
- artifact rich, primary source supported exhibitions
- dynamic community engagement offerings
- cultivation of an esteemed membership
- altruistic and service opportunities
- heritage preservation and advocacy outreach for fading/lost folkart tradition
The Belief is a reflection of the Mission, in that we affirm...
- that although visitors may arrive as our guests, they will always depart as our friends
- that hands-on learning truly encourages retention and passion
- that there is a deep satisfaction in crafting an object with your own hands
- that food grown and made with patience and love tastes best
- that we recognize our early settlers and indigenous people laid the cornerstones for many of the technologies we utilize today
- that so many of our beloved folkarts are tradtitions that must be perpetuated to prevent losing them permanently
- that the Museum collectively fosters a unique and special kind of homespun "magic"
- that our community of supporters (staff, volunteers and board of directors) should be deeply, emotionally vested in its grand purpose and operation
- that the grounds and galleries are a safe, creative environment for families and children to make life long memories
- that we are a living classroom and educational resource for local schools and academic institutions
- that being sustainable and ecofriendly are not new concepts
- that artifacts are more than just objects...they are the irreplaceable, tangible and personal stories of our ancestors
- that pioneers did more than just settle this land, they made a HOME within a Homestead